Winners of the EUROPEAN ALUMINIUM AWARD 2016
Published on: Tuesday 29 November 2016 on 17:00 hour
Winners of the EUROPEAN ALUMINIUM AWARD 2016 show the innovative strength of the sector!
The winners of the EUROPEAN ALUMINIUM AWARD 2016 have demonstrated just how innovative and efficient the use of aluminium can be. The Young Talents Award won by Niels Grafen from the TU München in Germany for his innovative LIGHT RIDER 3D-printed motorcycle. SOLAR FINGERPLATE from Austria Druckguss & Philipp Griesacker won the Overall Jury Prize for the entry with the best contribution to Aluminium for Future Generations.
PUBLIC VOTED DESIGN & LIFESTYLE WINNER
Award winner Project 21c / SAPA Extrusions Raeren with ViaLuce was chosen by a PUBLIC VOTE. Of the 2.346 votes, 54 % were for ViaLuce out of 3 nominated products chosen by the jury. One product received a Special Prize from the jury. And a Life Time Achievement Award for Audi was given for its outstanding aluminium promotion and innovation over more than 20 years.
In the framework of the International Trade Fair ALUMINIUM in Düsseldorf, the sector prize was awarded for the 10th time. The Awards were handed out on 29 November at the Award Gala during the International World Trade Fair ALUMINIUM 2016, which was held from 29 November to 1 December at Messe Düsseldorf in Germany.
The independent International Jury is headed by Prof. Laurens Katgerman of Delft Technical University, with Vito Oražem, Managing Director of the Design Zentrum Nordrhein Westfalen, as vice chair. Other jury members come from Germany, United Kingdom, Belgium, Italy, The Netherlands and Denmark.
In principle, the products must be designed for mass and serial production. For each category a selection committee compares the entries against the regulations. The nominated entries are then assessed by an independent jury. The winner of the EUROPEAN ALUMINIUM AWARD received a sculpture, made of aluminium, as well as a certificate.
OVERVIEW OF ALL WINNERS
5 Award winners 2016
- ATTACH table-system – Grumdesign & Lammhults – Denmark / Sweden (Category Design & Lifestyle)
- REALCAR - Jaguar| Land Rover & NOVELIS - UK / Switzerland (Category Automotive & Transportation)
- PORT HOUSE ANTWERP - GrovenPlus- Belgium (Category Architecture & Constructions)
- BARCO ONE CAMPUS - Atrium Walls – AVC - Belgium (Category Architecture & Constructions)
- ALUMASTER High Speed Disc - August Rüggeberg - Germany (Category Production Techniques, Tools & Machinery)
1 Young Talent Award
- LIGHT RIDER 3D-printed motorcycle - Niels Grafen_TU München / Airbus APWorks – Germany
Overall Jury Prize
- SOLAR FINGERPLATE - All-In-One solar system - Philipp Griesacker_/ Austria Druckguss - Austria
1 Special Prize
- FACADE P+R GARAGE TRAINSTATION ELST/NL - Van Campen Industries & ATP Kurvers - Netherlands (Category Architecture & Constructions)
1 Public Prize
- VIA LUCE - Project 21c/ Sapa Extrusions Raeren - Belgium (Category Design & Lifestyle)
Lifetime Achievement Award
- AUDI - Germany
This year the panel judged 49 entries in 6 different categories. In total 20 products were nominated for the Award in one of the 6 categories. The jury, chaired by Prof. Laurens Katgerman of the Delft University of Technology (NL), announced two Award winners in the Architecture & Construction. The panel combined Automotive & Transportation in order to choose a representative winner in this field. The Award Design & Lifestyle was chosen by a PUBLIC VOTE out of 3 entries nominated by the jury.
The Young Talent Award, aimed specifically at students and designers below the age of 30, was awarded for the fourth time. The jury awarded the Overall Jury Prize to the entry with the best contribution to Aluminium for Future Generations.
For this 10th Edition the panel decided to give an ALUMINIUM LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD to the company that has been a front runner in aluminium innovation and as such has been of major importance for the promotion of aluminium over the past 20 years.
LARGER THAN EVER
The EUROPEAN ALUMINIUM AWARD is an initiative of the Dutch Aluminium Centre and is supported by the European Aluminium Association (EAA), the GDA - the German Aluminium Association - and ALUMINIUM 2016. 17 Partner Associations are supporting this year’s edition with Aluminium International Today, Aluminium Kurier & Metall Markt as media sponsors.
All news Items
- 29-11-2016 | Winners of the EUROPEAN ALUMINIUM AWARD 2016
- 23-11-2016 | Vote Now and Win an iPad mini!
- 28-09-2016 | From 3D-printed motorcycle to designer table: Meet the EUROPEAN ALUMINIUM AWARD 2016 nominees
- 19-08-2016 | Final Deadline August 31
- 18-07-2016 | August 15, Extended Deadline Entries 2016 Award
- 23-06-2016 | First Entries for 2016 Award
- 11-04-2016 | New Entries for 2016 Award